Fresh cherry (freshly picked and delivered to you by your friend, perferably ;), bananas, walnuts, and chocolate chips--is your mouth watery yet? Make it with whole wheat flour and coconut oil and you have a match your health conscious conscience will approve of. Say health conscious conscience three times........now hurry up and make these while fresh cherries are in abundance.
(Yield – 12 muffins)
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar (I used sucanut)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (or omit)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup cherries, pitted and sliced
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 375F and line a muffin tin with paper liners or spray the muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas, eggs, coconut oil, Greek yogurt, brown sugar and vanilla until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, add the whole wheat flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon. Stir to mix.
- Add the flour mixture into the mashed banana mixture and gently fold. Be careful not overmix.
- Add the cherries, dark chocolate chips and walnut to the batter.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin tins and bake at 375F for approximately 17-20 minutes or until the muffin tops spring back when pressed lightly.
- Cool for 5-10 minutes before removing from the muffin tins.