Sunday, September 6, 2009

City Slickers

One day, my husband and I dream of living on a few acres of land. We dream of a house that is not too small and not too big. The location of our new place would have a far away from the city feel but be close enough to it that we won't have to travel too far to get to places we visit often. Our kids would be free to roam around the property, build forts, help plant gardens, play hide and seek in the forest and just be outdoors all summer day long. For now, we are bound to be city slickers. Despite taking a few camping trips and going on hikes this summer, it was made obvious to me today that our children do in fact suffer from NDD (Nature Deficit Disorder).

I was interrupted from watching our Sunday service online with some commotion downstairs. When I looked down, my daughter who was still in her pajamas, put on her flip lops and my rain coat, and with big eyes looked up at my confused face and said,

"Mom, I am going outside to look at the stream."

"What stream?" I asked in confusion and looked outside at the pouring rain. Our first Autumn rain. Sign.








The sheep followed her...


...to look at the stream that was made by my neighbor's clogged gutter.

No comments:

Post a Comment