Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Advent Conspiracy


Over the years, I have gotten tired of hearing my fellow Christians complain around this time of the year that the stores are leaving Christ out of Christmas by greeting them with "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas." I would rather be greeted by the first greeting at this time of the year because the birth of Christ has little to do with what Christmas has become. Last year, while listening to a Christian program I often enjoy, I heard the commentators rejoicing over the fact that Sears or some other store after receiving numerous complaints okayed the traditional Christmas greeting. But really, what is there to rejoice about? So what that they tell you "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays"? It is only a marketing gimmick to sell what needs to be sold without making as many people as possible upset.

Finally, Christians around the world are participation in a new (which is really, old) tradition.
I love Advent Conspiracy. The motto is simple: worship fully, spend less, give more, love all.

Check this out:



Also, an article about this new/old way was published in Time magazine. Finally, some positive light on Christianity.

this article

2 comments:

  1. We are reading it for our Sunday School class...which we have read it sooner tho...in order to take action...but anyway...it has been good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun to see the same article I just posted for friends here at your place, it is good. I wonder what people are thinking sometimes with this Merry Christmas greeting thing, and appreciated McKinley's words, as I often do. He sometimes sounds like a lone logical voice in a mess of media and church messages. Ironically, I was just going to post the article for you to read as I saw that it was the same as the one you have... :o)

    Happy Christmas Zhenya. i'd say it in russian but, per usual, it would be a letter salad.

    ReplyDelete