Friday, January 23, 2009

Diving Into the Germ Pool



While the country was busy acting on Obama's call to go and serve others on Monday, the rest of us with small children went to OMSI, I mean the GERM POOL. Even though we have a membership and go there about once a week anyway, we chose a day-off from school when the rest of Portland was there as well. My youngest is 9 month old which means he is in the Freud's oral stage right now. The only time this becomes a problem is when he is chewing on someones shoe or on toys at one of the many germ pool places we go. One time as I was trying to wrestle a toy out of his mouth a well-meant stranger mom said to me in a critical tone,

"But this is how they learn!"

Because I DIDN'T know that, I took the toy away from him anyway.


The stranger mom must have aliens for kids. Maybe she was a nanny and not a mom.

Because if she was a mom, she would know that moms are inherent germ stoppers. She would know why moms take away dirty toys, wash floors, throw the food away after its been dropped on the floor, do not let kids share drinks, wash kids' hands every time they touch something other than air, teach kids to close their mouth when they cough and give stranger kids the look if they don't.




They do it for selfish reasons...like trying to avoid stomach flu clean up or being up all night. And of coarse because they love their offspring and want to keep them as healthy as possible.

So I dump my kids into the germ pool anyway, because I know that kids will get sick despite my vigorous efforts so they might as well enjoy the process.






Sorry, but I just couldn't resist not leaving a piece of germ humor for you.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, I was always freaking out when Freddy would "taste" germy icky stuff.... But I think it might have built up his immune system a bit, because he doesn't get sick too much!

    Do they have anything new at OMSI? We haven't been there in a while, but the kid loves their playground!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We pretty much stick to the playground although sometimes check out their turbine hall. Their new exhibit is Da Vinci. Wonder what thats about......

    ReplyDelete